Frequently Asked Questions

We put together the most frequently asked questions from our candidates.

Not found your answer? Give your local branch a call to discuss your query.

Why should I work on supply? There are many reasons why people decide to do supply, including:

  •  The flexibility to work when you want
  • Ideal for ECTs, those in retirement or who have family commitments
  • You choose when and where you work
  • The opportunity to gain more experience in different schools and with different age groups
  • Increases confidence through working in different schools
  • Gain new skills and develop your teaching career

How do I register at Connex Education Partnership? Simply, call your local branch and they can have a chat with you and book you in for an interview if you meet our requirements.

What will I need to register?

All supply staff will be interviewed by a consultant and fully vetted by our compliance manager. All staff must provide us with:

  • 2x professional references (including the most recent employer)
  • Fully enhanced DBS
  • Proof of current address
  • Proof of right to work in the UK
  • Identification
  • Proof of any name changes
  • Proof of qualifications (if applicable)
  • Fully CV covering at least the last 10 years of employment history
  • Please note we can only accept original documentation

Can you guarantee me full time work?

Our aim is to get you as much work as possible dependant on your specific needs.

How long will it be until I’m cleared for work?

Being cleared is always reference and DBS dependent, so we need these to come back before we can clear you for work. You can help speed this process along by bringing all documents with you for the interview.

What is a DBS and will I need one for work?

A DBS is a background check performed by the Disclosure and Barring Service, formerly known as the CRB.

  • You cannot work with children or vulnerable adults until you have one
  • It is essential for all of our applicants to hold or be willing to apply for an enhanced DBS to adhere to our strict vetting and safeguarding standards

How long will it take?

An Enhanced DBS usually takes between one and six weeks from initial application although it can vary person to person.

What is the update service?

The online Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) update service allows applicants to keep their DBS certificates up to date. You need to register to use the update service. Registration costs £13 per year (payable by debit or credit card only). A subscription to the update service lasts for one year. You can renew your subscription through the update service, either:

• When you first register, by choosing automatic renewal
• Up to 30 days before your current subscription ends – but you can’t renew on the last day of your subscription

When will I be contacted for work?

Our office hours are from 7.30 am until 6.00 pm Monday to Thursday and 7.30 am until 5.00 pm Friday (school holidays excluded). We also operate an on-call service until 10 pm Monday to Sunday. Any message left after 10 pm will be picked up at 6 am the following morning and dealt with immediately. For on the day bookings we can begin to call from 7:30 am but you can tell us if you don’t want this. We could contact you at any time throughout the day for bookings. You can tell us when it is ok to call and what times suits you best to receive calls.

How should I let you know when I am free for work?

Our preference is that you should call your local office to update your availability. The online candidate portal is also available to candidates who have been cleared for work, to change availability. Emails can easily be missed, so we would always recommend calling your consultant.

I can’t log in to my portal, what should I do?

Please contact your consultant and we can have the issue looked at by our IT department.

What if I forget the logins for my portal?

Please contact your consultant and we can have new logins sent to you as soon as possible.

What type of work do you offer?

We offer daily supply work, long-term supply work such as covering maternity leave or long-term sickness. We also look for full-time permanent positions within our schools and nurseries. Positions range from teachers, TAs, learning support assistants, nursery nurses and nursery assistants all for our SEN and mainstream schools.

How do I prepare for work?

If your booking is made in advance, it is advised that you look up directions and plan your journey. Have your DBS and ID to hand as you will always need these for attending your assignment. If you are teaching have some resources prepared, just in case they are needed.

How much will I get paid?

Rates of pay will vary between agencies and roles but tends to depend on your experience. This will be discussed further at registration.

How do I submit my timesheets?

If you have the physical timesheet, fill it out with your hours of work and hand in to the school office for them to authorise and send to us to be processed.

How and when do I get paid?

You will be paid on a weekly basis.

How do I request a P45?

Please email our payroll team for this request,

What support will I receive?

At Connex Education Partnership, it is our goal to find you work that is tailored to your abilities and to help you develop. We offer CPD courses through our sister company Thirsty Scholars Partnership to ensure you are continuously improving your knowledge and skills. You will have your own dedicated consultant who will support you during your placements.

What is AWR?

The Agency Worker Regulations 2010 came into force on 1st October 2011. The regulations will give agency workers the entitlement to the same or no less favourable treatment as comparable employees with respect to basic employment, pay and working conditions, if and when they complete a qualifying period of 12 weeks in a particular job.

I have been living abroad for the past few years, will I need an overseas check?

If you have lived outside of the UK, in one country for longer than 6 months in the last 5 years, then you will need an overseas police check from that particular country.

What is QTS?

Qualified Teacher Status is required in England and Wales to work as a teacher of children in state schools under local authority control and in special education schools.

What if I find work myself?

Simply let us know and we will make a note to contact you when you are available again.

Can I register with more than one agency?

Yes. You can register with as many agencies as you like.

I am an overseas trained teacher (OTT), can I work on supply?

Overseas trained teachers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) are able to teach in England for up to four years without the need to gain qualified teacher status (QTS), provided that your visa/work permit allows you to work in the UK. However, you will be cleared as an unqualified teacher. You will be unable to teach in Pupil Referral Units, just state maintained and non-maintained special schools. You will need UK Naric to provide the equivalent of your qualifications.

If you qualified in an EEA Country, Australia, New Zealand, Canada or South Africa, Scotland and Northern Ireland you must apply for QTS in order to teach in a maintained school or non-maintained special school in England.

What if I am unhappy with the work?

If you are unhappy with your current placement, the best thing to do is have a conversation with your consultant. We may be able to help solve your issues, and if not we can look to place you somewhere else.

What is the best format for my CV?

We ask for a full CV in a Word document from all candidates. The CV should provide at least 10 years of your employment history and cover all relevant dates with no unaccounted for gaps.

What is expected of me during my placement?

• Arrive in good time for your placement
• Familiarise yourself with the school and key members of staff
• Complete any necessary marking for the class
• Leave teacher handover notes
• Leave the classroom in a tidy state
• Always keep us updated regarding your availability

How far will I have to travel?

When working on supply it is entirely up to you how far you wish to travel. Some candidates are happy to travel up to an hour whereas others are looking for work locally, no more than a few miles. Needless to say, the more flexible you are, the more work you are likely to get.

Am I expected to mark work?

Yes, it is extremely important that you mark all work from your placement before you leave for the day, even in day to day supply.

You may also be interested in...


Click on the branch you would like to review!